Friday, November 19, 2010

7th Day of Service

Today when I got to my service site, the classroom had been changed around a bit, now there seems to be a different sort of center, but the children did not use it today. Also when I got there two boys, Carlos and Ronnie, were working with a different teacher. I played with the children for a little while, then it was time for gym class. The gym teacher had set up an obstacle course for the children, that included a balance beam, tunnels, and jumping on mats. They all really enjoyed this, and they all cooperated the best that I have ever seen them. Next they worked on kicking some balls for a while and then they all sat in a circle and played with some stuffed animals and squishy balls, during this activities some of the children were crying or not really participating, so I think that more active things, like obstacles course work better for them. Back in the classroom, I helped the children wash their hands, and then I sat at a table with Ronnie and Carlos for snack. They were pretty good, and then it was time to do their work. The work today corresponded with Thanksgiving and things that they liked to eat. Carlos did his well, but Ronnie wouldn't participate, so he didn't get a sticker on his goal chart. After that there was a bit of play time were I helped a little girl play with puzzles. Then it was playground time, I pushed Ronnie on the swing and chased him, and also played basketball with Carlos, recess is a good time for these children. Back in the classroom we watched a video, which was Little Bill. Then I got the children's coats and backpacks and walked Carlos to his bus and that was the day. I really feel like I know the children now and I enjoy working with them.

A current event that would correspond with my service site would be that of recess. Now a days schools encourage recess so that children can be active, but some schools also don't want to have too much playground time. My elementary school got rid of morning recess for a year, and it made it a lot harder for the children concentrate. At my site recess is a great outlet for the children since they have a lot of energy, and it also gives them a chance to be active. We stay out there for close to an hour and they all run around and play and then are quieter and more focused back in the classroom. I think that recess is an important part of the school day. A media event that corrsponds to my site is sports. Sports are always on TV and are a big part of high school. I played basketball with Carlos today and it helped him to work on his motor skills and I think that he really enjoyed the one on one attention that he got from me.

A theory that goes along with my service is that of behavior and schedule charts. Each child has a behavior chart to mark their progress and it really does help them to listen better. Each child is also shown a picture schedule so they know what activity comes next, this helps them to transition better. Carlos is also given a chart to show that he is following directions, this also seems to help him focus. Charts and schedules are very important to the children's learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment