Wednesday, October 13, 2010

WebLog 4

Time Line Entry:
2001-The OGT'S Are Developed
The OGT is the Ohio Graduation Test. In Ohio all students have to take these in 10th grade. The test was developed in 2001, with the first offical test being given in 2005. The test covers reading, writing, math and social studies. The OGT was a result of The No Child Left Behind Act. The OGT is a standardized, norm referenced test. This means that everybody's score is compared to a standard score that is considered "normal." From the very 1st day of 10th grade all of the teachers talked about the OGT'S and how important they were. I knew that if I didn't pass them the 1st time, I would have to take them every year until I did, or else I would not be able to graduate. Once the OGT'S were over, most students thought they were a bit of a joke, it was either very easy stuff, or things that we never really learned. I did manage to pass them all the 1st time, but from this experience, I know that I will not put so much presure on my students when it comes to standardized tests. They are important to a point, but too much stress is put on students and they need to know that it is not the end of the world if they don't preform as well as the "norm group."

I never used to be a huge fan of using feedback to support learning. When I was younger, I hated working in groups, I would rather just figure things out myself. However, as I got older and more teachers put us in writing groups, I began to find them helpful. It was interesting to read other people's writing, to see how they saw things. I also enjoy seeing what others have to say about my work, and most of the time I find that it is helpful and insightful. When using feedback to support learning, it helps you to meet new people and make connections as well. If you are feeling really lost about a project or something, it is nice to know that you have people who are working on the same thing to talk about it with. Students are always getting feedback from teachers, which is good, but it is also nice to get it from their peers. Peer's are on the same level as you are, so they may be able to better help you understand things. In short, I am glad the we will be able to have feedback using our writing circles, and I plan to use the same type of feedback in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment