Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SL Blog 3

On Friday I had my service learning orientation, it was short, about 20 minutes, but informative. I learned that the children that we will be working with are preschoolers with ADHD and we work with them in the sensory room at Gearity School. There are two others girls who will be coming to the site with me and also a guy who is the leader. There is no transportation for this site, but we can all walk together or we are welcomed to drive, as Gearity is only about 15 minutes away from JCU. We were also told to dress professorially, no jeans and no shirts with words on them are permitted. This remindes me a bit of when I visited Gesu last years, but I'm sure it will be different as those children were 5th graders. Now that I've had the orientation, I know more what to expect, I'm really looking forward to going to Gearity this coming Friday. I'm sure that this should be a stressful experience at times, but I also think it should be rewarding and help prepare me for the work force. There is, as we talked about, a lot of issues with the education system currently, and I'm sure I'll come across some problems as Gearity, but maybe I can help to fix those problems when I'm working with the children. Also I've been hearing a lot about the movie Waiting for Superman in magazines and of course in class, so I'm sure that Gearity might even have some problems listed in the movie, I'll know more about that after I've seen it, but I'm thinking that the fact that this movie is getting a lot of publicity will put the educational decline more at the for front of peoples minds. I think that John Dewey's efforts to reform the school system, even if it was a long time ago and there are still many problems, was inspiring, and as I begin my service learning experience I want to see how I can help to reform schools, or maybe just this one for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment