Friday, October 29, 2010

Fourth Day of Service

Today was a little different at the preschool, there was a new schedule and a new student. The new students name was Logan and he has some speech, but is also a little aggressive. Under the new schedule there is no more circle time, I think this is because the children weren't getting much out of it and there are also new work tables. When I first got to the classroom the children were playing, I got to meet Logan and I helped him and another boy with painting. Then I played with Logan in the kitchen corner. It was then time for gym. The children ran around in time to music, and then played with stacking cups. After gym it was snack time, then recess. At recess I was pushing the same boy on the swing again and he was doing a great job of saying and signing "more", another little girl who was swinging was also beginning to say "more" and "no". It was really cool, because I had never heard her speak before, its really great to see the children learning. When we came in from recess, the kids went to their work tables to work on puzzles. I helped out at a work table with two children, Carlos and Denay. They both speak pretty well, and Denay is going to be moving up to the next class soon. The puzzle that they were doing involved one child holding cards and the other child having the pieces that corresponded to the pictures. They did a really good job. Then it was clean up time, the children got there coats and backpacks, picked a prize from the "treasure chest" and then we walked them to their buses. It was a good day, it's really enjoyable getting to know these children and watching them learn.

A historical event that responds to my service learning site is The Equality of Educational Opportunity Study which said that African American benefit from going to integrated schools, but not from having extra resources. The resource part does not relate to my service, since all of the children get the same resources, but the integrated part certainly does. Most of the children in the preschool are African American and some are white. At this school everyone is friends and it seems race does not matter. All the children play with each other. If schools were still segregated these children would be missing out on some great friendships, so as we of course know in this day and age it is essential and the basis of equality to have integrated schools. A popular culture event that corresponds to my service site would be Halloween. At Gearity the children are not allowed to dress up for Halloween, because some parents don't agree with Halloween because of their religion. The children in my class were still excited and talking about trick of treating and costumes. I think its too bad that they can't dress up, that was something that I loved about elementary school. It's interesting going to a different elementary school and seeing their customs. I think that society has gotten very politically correct and
unfortunately its taking fun things away from kids, like Halloween parties at schools.

In short, though, I'm really enjoying Gearity. It's great working with the children and I'm understanding more how to talk to them and not to tolerate any hitting. I can't believe that a few weeks ago I was scared and intimidated by the children, now I can't wait for Fridays!

(I used the text book to find the historical event)

No comments:

Post a Comment