Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Class Survey

Personal information
1. Name, hometown, primary email.
Mallory DeLauro, Mayfield Hts. OH., Malitalia7@yahoo.com
2. What name do you prefer to be called?
Mallory
3. Grade level and subject(s) that you want to teach (For graduate students: undergraduate and graduate degree(s), education license(s), current employment: grade level, subject(s) if applicable, district).
Middle Childhood Education (4-9), most interested in 4th-7th. My core areas are English and History
4. What are you into; what makes you special? Share a few “unique” aspects about yourself that would help our classroom community get to know you a bit better.
I enjoy reading and writing, especially fiction stories. I am a commuter, so I live at home. I'm also a Christian and God is a very important part of my life. I'm also close with my parents, two younger sisters,and my cousins.
Learning Style and more:
5. Being as specific as you can, what must be in place for you to feel comfortable taking intellectual and creative risks in a classroom? I need to know that it is OK to ask a lot questions without being frowned upon. I also need to feel comfortable and to understand everything really well,which is where asking questions comes in handy.


6. I am interested in your perception of yourself as a student. Please describe it. Consider such criteria as a) active oral class participation; b) responsible, timely class preparation (of readings, projects, etc.); c) honest, candid self-assessment; d) awareness of your own preferred learning styles/approaches; e) first thing that you do when you cannot or do not understand something; f)other dimensions you believe to be relevant and informative.

A. I enjoy answering questions and I love class discussions. B. I'm responsible and always prepared and ready to learn. C. I like to learn, sometimes the workload stresses me out, but 98 percent of the time, I really do try my best. I am also a very visual learner. E. Re-read it, then ask the teacher. F. I am a good student, and hope to be a even better teacher.

7. Is there anything I should know about you, your learning style, or life situation that may be relevant to your successful performance in this course? (Please decide what to share with the class and what to share in confidence with me).

I'm sometimes hard on my self, and don't do well with failure.

Education Past and Present

8. Share a formative memory from your experiences as a student.

When I was in first grade we were all sitting in a circle on the floor listening to the teacher. I was looking around the classroom, and my eyes fell on the teachers desk, and from that moment, I wanted to be a teacher, and would always play school with my younger sisters.
9. Please discuss what are, for you, the some significant issues or concerns facing the field of education right now.

I think that public schools are going downhill a bit, and we need to do everything in our power so that every student gets a equal education.
10. Let’s imagine, humbly, that this course is definitely going to be the most meaningful and relevant course you’ve ever experienced. EVER. Drawing on your past experience in classrooms, and thinking uniquely, specifically and BIG, describe what we need to (1) DO (activities/projects), (2) STUDY (content topics and compelling issues/questions), (3) BE (interacting with each other) and (4) AVOID (in the previous three categories) in order for your visionary views of an ideal course to be mostly realized.
We need to do projects that have something to do with teaching kids directly, and that will make us feel confident as teachers one day. We need to study in depth how children learn and what they need to learn to succeed. We need to work as a team. We need to avoid too much lecture and reading, and strive for more class discussions.
About Dr. Shutkin:
11. Write down two or three questions you would like to ask me about myself or the class.
Do we, as a class, get to visit schools?
Do we have a lot of class discussions?

No comments:

Post a Comment